On episode FORTY-NINE of Let the Bird Fly! Wade and Mike find themselves abandoned by Ben and Peter and somehow decide to talk about happiness. (I’m sure that’s just a coincidence.) After a discussion of Ecclesiastes 3, considering careers as political speech writers and as garbagemen, Mike and Wade find their way to happiness…or at least they talk about it for a bit. Their conversation ranges from Epictetus’ The Enchiridion, to the Bill of Rights and the Declaration of Independence, touches on Aristotle’s Nicomachean Ethics, and of course Wade can’t be happy without bringing up the Beastie Boys’ Paul’s Boutique.
Some of the books mentioned in this episode:
- Oliver Burkeman’s The Antidote: Happiness for People who Can’t Stand Positive Thinking
- Epictetus’ The Enchiridion
- Aristotle’s Nicomachean Ethics
- And here’s a link to the issue of Logia in which Mike’s article appeared
And as always, if you are enjoying the show, please subscribe, rate, and review us on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, or TuneIn Radio. You can also like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter. And, of course, share us with a friend or two!
Thanks for listening!
Attributions for Music and Images used in this Episode:
- “The Last One” by Jahzzar is licensed under an Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 International License.
- “Horses to Water” by Topher Mohr and Alex Elena
- “Gib laut” by Dirk Becker is licensed under an Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives (aka Music Sharing) 3.0 International License.
- “Whistling Down the Road” by Silent Partner
- “Not Drunk” by The Joy Drops is licensed under an Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Image: “Happiness” by Nick Youngson is licensed under a Creative Commons 3 (CC BY-SA 3.0) License.